SUMMER SPATZLE WITH RICOTTA AND SEA BREAM MEATBALLS
For spatzle:150 gr flour 0, 100 gr whole wheat flour (for me Molino Rossetto), 3 medium eggs, 150 gr water, salt, pepper, nutmeg.
For sea bream and ricotta meatballs:300 gr steamed sea bream fillet, 1 fresh onion, 1 large egg, salt, pepper, 1 bunch of mixed herbs, 150 g of organic ricotta (for me Caseificio Pugliese), flour.
Seasoning: 2 long aubergines, 150 gr dried tomatoes in oil, egg oil, salt, pepper.
- First of all prepare the fish meatballs: finely chop onion and herbs. Using a heavy kitchen knife mince the sea beam fillet and pour it into a bowl. Add ricotta, herbs, salt, 1 pinch of pepper and the egg. Mix all well getting a malleable mixture (if it is too soft add 2 tbs of breadcrumbs).Cover with film and put in the fridge.
- Meanwhile prepare the aubergines: wash them, slice and and grill them 3 minutes per side.
- Prepare the Spatzle: mix the two flours in a bowl, combine the eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and plenty of nutmeg. Pour water little by little mixing well with a whisk just to get a smooth and liquid dough (My advice: If you do not have the tool to form spatzle, use a little less water to have a slightly larger dough).
- Place the special grater for spatzle directly over the pot with salted boiling water and pour into the specific space a ladle of the dough. Move the tool backwards and forwards so that spatzle falls right into the water.
- Drain the spatzle after 2 minutes and transfer them into a bowl full of cold water to cool down them immediately. Drain the spatzle also from this water and place them in a bowl, seasoning with a little oil.
- Take back the fish meatballs dough and, using a spoon, form some small meatballs rolling them in the flour. Cook your meatballs in a frying pan in few warm oil for about 10 minutes, until golden (otherwise you can bake them at 180 ° C). Place them on a plate to cool.
- Roughly chop grilled aubergines and dried tomatoes. Pour this seasoning in a bowl, add spatzle and sea beam meatballs. Mix well, add some oil if necessary and salt and pepper as you like.